Thursday, February 10, 2011

What is a Michigan Man?

Most people who know me are aware that after high school I attended the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.  I loved every moment I spent at U of M and given the opportunity would choose to be a Wolverine every time.  (No offense to my Spartan or Buckeye friends).
I learned so much and am very proud of my accomplishments in college.  I was privileged to work directly for some of the legendary coaches like Bo Schembechler, Red Berenson, and John Urbanckek, all true Michigan men.
Over the years I have often been asked what qualifies one as a Michigan Man.  The recent search for a football coach exposed some interesting viewpoints by many although most reporters have no idea what they are talking about in this regard (or others for that matter).
For me the answer is simple...it isn't a tenure or a position or even some grand accomplishment...it is a thought process, one I have seldom seen as blatantly as I did at Michigan.  It is a whole-hearted belief that the program is above all else and that no person is more important than the team. 
It is the knowledge that doing something the right way - with class and devotion - is more important than the final outcome.  It is knowing that you can lay your head on the pillow each night knowing you did your best for yourself, your team, and your program without compromise and that you are proud of each person associated with you.  It is never about me first...it is always about:
The Team. The Team. The Team. 
It is a lesson I grasp tightly.  I hope each day I live my life this way.  I hope I pull, push, drag, carry, lead, coax - whatever it takes - each person in my life toward this mindset.  The irony is that it is exactly the value set my parents instilled in me and I saw Bo instill into many.  I am so thankful to have been taught this lesson and to have seen how to share it with others.  Go Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment