Saturday, March 07, 2015

What is the Blue Dog on your website?


While attending graduate school at Louisiana State University, I stopped in Breaux Bridge, LA, at a small shop owned by (my then girlfriend and now wife) Jennifer's Aunt Peggy. The cute Cajun gift shop was just off the exit next to Landry's Restaurant. Inside the shop near the windows was an artist's space, easel and all. I was taken by the subject of the artist's current effort, an adorable little blue dog with bright yellow eyes, living the Louisiana life. That artist was now famed Cajun artist George Rodrigue.

George Rodrigue was the artist who gave life to this unique character, a Blue Dog was derived from George's departed dog Tiffany. How could I not love a Blue Dog with Maize (ok yellow) eyes!! It has been an enjoyable relationship as Blue Dog has always seemed to mark a timeline from that day in my life and to my time in Louisiana. From Hurricane Katrina to Mardi Gras to the 9/11, Blue Dog has shared the experiences. As you might imagine, "House for Sale" often seen in my avatar is certainly one of my favorites. Blue Dog adorns most every room in our home in books, cards, prints, and renderings.

What I enjoy most, however, is that Blue Dog works have a deeper meaning expressed in a very
understated delivery. George shared his life by allowing Tiffany to express his thoughts and feelings. What Blue Dog represents was, for me, perfectly written upon Rodrigue's death:

"The yellow eyes are really the soul of the dog. He has this piercing stare. People say the dog keeps talking to them with the eyes, always saying something different. People who have seen a Blue Dog painting always remember it. They are really about life, about mankind searching for answers. The dog never changes position. He just stares at you. And you’re looking at him, looking for some answers, ‘Why are we here?,’ and he’s just looking back at you, wondering the same. The dog doesn’t know. You can see this longing in his eyes, this longing for love, answers." William Yardley-George Rodrigue, Painter of Blue Dog, Dies at 69, The New York Times, December 27, 2013.

I suppose I love Blue Dog because George Rodrigue shared his life with us yet never made himself the center of attention. I don't like my picture on my business cards or in my advertising although every real estate article tells me I should. I just don't believe it is about me...it is about my clients. So I will allow my respect for George and love for Blue Dog help me share his vision. And have a little fun doing it.

This BlueDog is titled, "House For Sale".  How appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment