Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cross In The Woods

If you happen to be near Indian River, Michigan, you may want to visit the National Shrine of the Cross in the Woods. Regardless of your faith, the largest crucifix in the world is a powerful symbol of Christianity that can be appreciated by all.
 I took these photos after a mid-October snowfall, a time when the autumn leaves were in brilliant color. Even in northern Michigan a heavy snowfall then is rare. I recall dropping my children off at school and noticing the ambient light having a beautiful blue hue. The orange, yellow and green colors shining through the sparkling white snow was just spectacular. As I exited the school, I saw the sign for the Cross in the Woods and my mind wandered to a thought, "What does the Cross look like in this snowfall?"

How glad I am that I took a moment and my camera to investigate. The scene was amazing. I have been to the Cross countless times in my life (even being married outside under the Cross) but never has it projected such a beauty for me. I treasure each photo.
 I used a Canon 35mm Digital Rebel to photograph the scene which did a great job expressing the contrasts of the colorful leaves, brightness of the snow, and blue aura. The 28 foot tall, 7 ton bronze Corpus was cast in Olso, Norway and was (at the time) one of the largest castings to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The pinnacle of the 55 foot, Oregon-grown Cross sits atop a knoll, the total structure reaching over 205 feet above ground level.

I hope you enjoy the photos. If you are traveling through northern Michigan, on your way to ski at Boyne Highlands, or visit the many other great activities in the area take a moment to visit. The Cross in the Woods is just 1 mile west of I-75's Exit 310, Indian River. You won't be disappointed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment